Contact usWe would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get back to you within 24 hours during business hours.
Planetary Gearhead Installation instructions for Paragon™ Inline and Paragon™ Right Angle
NOTE: If the gearhead is to operate with its output shaft pointing upward, call CGI, Inc.’s sales or engineering department for extra grease packets and instructions.
- Paragon™ planetary gearhead.
- Pinion gear with balanced clamp collar.
- Pinion positioning gauge.
- Four (4) screws and nuts for mounting motor to gearhead.
- Woodruff key.
- Allen wrench(es).
- This instruction sheet.
Note: bulk packaging available, call CGI for details.
- Slide the clamp collar fully onto the pinion gear (fig 1).
- Gently tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp to remove any loose clearance – keep the distance of the gap at each end of the clamp approximately equal.
- Slide the pinion gear with the clamp onto the motor shaft (fig. 2).
- Use the pinion positioning gauge to position the pinion at the correct location on the shaft (fig. 3). The end of the pinion should rest against the middle of the gauge while the ends of the gauge rest on the motor mounting face.
- Tighten the two clamp screws firmly. Check position of the pinion with the gauge – adjust if necessary.
- IMPORTANT: Tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp to the proper torque (see: Table A – Clamp Screw Torques, on back).
- Position the motor/pinion assembly vertically on a table with the pinion gear upwards. NOTE: If the gearhead requires sealing to the motor face, apply a thin film of Loctite 515 “Gasket Eliminator” or equivalent to the entire mounting surface of the motor to achieve a positive seal.
- Lift and vertically orient the gearhead over the motor. Carefully and slowly lower the gearhead onto the pinion gear. Proper alignment will be necessary. When the gearhead makes contact with the pinion gear, rotate the gearhead to allow the gear the gear teeth to align themselves. The unit will find its alignment – then lower the gearhead fully into position.
- Lay the assembly horizontal on a flat surface and install the motor mounting screws and nuts – tighten with allen wrench (fig. 4).
Paragon™ Planetary Gearhead with Motor
Clamp Screw Torques for Standard Nema Gearheads
|UNIT SIZE||SCREW SIZE||SCREW TORQUE (NOM)|
|SIZE 17||#4-40||10 LB. IN.|
|SIZE 23||#8-32||28 LB. IN.|
|SIZE 34||#10-32||45 LB. IN.|
|SIZE 42||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.|
|SIZE 56||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.|
|SIZE 75||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.|
Additional Clamp Screw Torques
|SCREW SIZE||SCREW TORQUE (NOM.)|
|#6-32||15 LB. IN.|
|3/8-24||436 LB. IN.|
Customers will need a torque wrench with the proper Allen tip