Planetary Gearhead Installation Instructions for Prime™ Inline, Primetric™ Inline and Prime™ Right Angle
NOTE: If the gearhead is to operate with its output shaft pointing upward, call CGI, Inc.’s sales or engineering department for extra grease packets and instructions.
- Prime™ or Primetric™ planetary gearhead.
- Pinion gear with balanced clamp collar.
- Four (4) allen head cap screws for mounting the motor to the gearhead.
- Woodruff key.
- Allen wrench(es).
- This instruction sheet.
NOTE: bulk packaging available, call CGI for details.
- Slide the clamp collar fully onto the pinion gear (fig 1).
- Gently tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp to remove any loose clearance – keep the distance of the gap at each end approximately equal.
- Slide the pinion gear with the clamp onto the motor shaft (fig 2).
- Insert the proper thickness feeler gauge (see: Table A, Pinion Gear Positioning, on back) between the pinion gear and motor pilot (fig 3). Note: feeler gauge not supplied.
- Tighten the two (2) clamp screws evenly and firmly; then remove feeler gauge.
- IMPORTANT: Tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp to the proper torque (see: Table A, Clamp Screw Torques).
- Position the motor/pinion assembly vertically on a bench with the pinion gear upwards. NOTE: if the gearhead requires sealing to the motor face, apply a thin film of Loctite 515 “Gasket Eliminator” or equivalent to the entire mounting surface of the motor to achieve a positive seal.
- Lift and vertically orient the gearhead over the motor. Carefully and slowly lower the gearhead onto the pinion gear. Proper alignment will be necessary.
- When the gearhead makes contact with the pinion gear, rotate the gearhead to allow the teeth to align themselves. The unit will find its alignment – then lower the gearhead fully into position.
- Lay the assembly horizontal on a flat surface and install the motor mounting screws – tighten with allen wrench (fig 4).
Prime™ Planetary Gearhead with Motor
Pinion Gear Positioning and Clamp Screw Torques for Standard Nema Gearheads
|UNIT SIZE||WRENCH SIZE||SCREW TORQUE (NOM)||DISTANCE|
|SIZE 17||#4-40||10 LB. IN.||.047|
|SIZE 23||#8-32||28 LB. IN.||.047|
|SIZE 34||#10-32||45 LB. IN.||.094|
|SIZE 42||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.||.094|
|SIZE 56||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.||.094|
|SIZE 75||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.||.094|
Additional Clamp Screw Torques
|SCREW SIZE||SCREW TORQUE (NOM.)|
|#6-32||15 LB. IN.|
|3/8-24||436 LB. IN.|
Customers will need a torque wrench with the proper Allen tip