Gearhead Installation Instructions for Spur Inline & Spur Right Angle
- Precision spur gearhead.
- Pinion gear with balanced clamp.
- Four (4) screws (and nuts) for mounting motor to gearhead.
- Woodruff key.
- Allen wrench(es).
- This instruction sheet.
NOTE: Bulk packaging available, call CGI for details.
- Slide the clamp collar fully onto the pinion gear (fig 1).
- Gently tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp to remove any loose clearance – keep the distance of the gap at each end of the clamp approximately equal.
- Slide the pinion gear with the clamp onto the motor shaft (fig 2).
- Insert the proper thickness feeler gauge (see: Table A, Pinion Gear Positioning) between the pinion gear and motor pilot (fig 3). Note: feeler gauge not supplied.
- Tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp evenly and firmly; then remove feeler gauge.
- IMPORTANT: Tighten the two (2) screws on the clamp to the proper torque. (See: Table A, Clamp Screw Torques)
- Position the motor/pinion assembly vertically on a bench with the pinion gear upwards. NOTE: If the gearhead requires sealing to the motor face, apply a thin film of Loctite 515 “Gasket Eliminator” or equivalent to the entire mounting surface of the motor to achieve a positive seal.
- Lift and vertically orient the gearhead over the motor. Carefully and slowly lower the gearhead onto the pinion gear. Proper alignment will be necessary.
- When the gearhead makes contact with the pinion gear, rotate the gearhead to allow gear teeth to align themselves. The unit will find its alignment – then lower the gearhead fully into position.
- Lay the assembly horizontal on a flat surface and install the motor mounting screws and nuts – tighten with allen wrench (fig 4).
NOTE: If the gearhead was supplied with an additional adapter plate (already attached to the gearhead), the mounting screws may fasten from the motor side without the use of nuts.
Spur Gearhead with Motor
Pinion Gear Positioning and Clamp Screw Torques for Standard Nema Gearheads
|UNIT SIZE||WRENCH SIZE||SCREW TORQUE (NOM)||DISTANCE|
|SIZE 23||#4-40||10 LB. IN.||.047|
|SIZE 34||#6-32||15 LB. IN.||.094|
|SIZE 42||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.||.094|
|SIZE 56||1/4-28||110 LB. IN.||.094|
Additional Clamp Screw Torques
|SCREW SIZE||SCREW TORQUE (NOM.)|
|#8-32||15 LB. IN.|
|#10-32||436 LB. IN.|
Customers will need a torque wrench with the proper Allen tip